The Face in the Boardroom
Letisha had been told who she was for so long that she had forgotten to ask herself.
At sixteen, it was her aunt who first said it, waving a glossy magazine across the dinner table: "Look at that bone structure. That girl could be you." At nineteen, her agency agreed. At twenty-two, the world agreed. She was Letisha. The face. The smile. The one who could sell anything, perfume, luxury cars, banking packages, even insurance, because something about her made people trust her.
Born in Queens, NY to Jamaican parents, she had done it all. The campaigns. The billboards. The exclusive shoots in Santorini and the Maldives. The corporate ads where she stood in sharp blazers, holding a tablet, looking executive. She had played the role of the powerful woman so convincingly that she had won awards for it. But none of it was real.
Because Letisha had never actually worked in a real office.
Now she was thirty-two. The industry had begun to age her out in that quiet, unspoken way it does. The offers came less frequently. The budgets got smaller. The younger girls were cheaper, fresher. And Letisha found herself tired. Not just of the auditions, the rejection, the endless upkeep, but of the performance itself.
She wanted to be real.
So she decided to pivot. She had always loved strategy. In between shoots, she had devoured books on business, marketing, psychology. She had even enrolled in an online MBA, completing it during hotel stays and between call times. Her grades had been excellent. She knew the theory.
She believed that was enough.
Her first week at Sterling & Co. a mid-sized but respected marketing firm was a blur of faces and fluorescent lights.
Letisha arrived in a modest navy dress, her hair pulled back, minimal makeup. She wanted them to see her. Not the billboard version. Just Letisha.
But they didn't.
The receptionist did a double-take. "You're... you're the one from the Vogue Luxe campaign, right?"
Her new manager, a stern woman named Patricia, shook her hand and said, "I hope you're ready. This is very different from being in front of a camera." She said it kindly enough, but there was something in her tone, a presumption. This isn't your world.
The junior associates whispered. "Is that really her?" "Why is she here?" "She must be slumming it, right? Or maybe it's research for a new role?"
No one said it to her face, but Letisha could read the room. She had spent her entire adult life reading rooms, projecting confidence while cameras clicked, while directors barked, while stylists tugged and pinned. She knew how to mask. But she also knew how to hear what wasn't being said.
And what they were saying, silently, was this: She doesn't belong here.
The first project came quickly. A pitch for a major retail client. Patricia assigned Letisha to the research team.
Letisha stayed up until midnight, cross-referencing demographic data, analyzing consumer behavior trends, pulling insights from the MBA case studies she had memorized. She prepared a detailed five-page report. She felt proud of it.
In the morning meeting, she presented her findings.
She spoke clearly, passionately. She referenced data points, sales funnels, conversion rates. She knew her stuff.
When she finished, there was silence.
Then Mark, a senior account director, leaned back in his chair and smiled. "Wow, Letisha. You really committed to the character."
A few people laughed nervously.
"Excuse me?" Letisha asked.
"I mean, you're a model," Mark said, as if this explained everything. "You don't actually need to do all this. You just need to show up and look good for the mood board. We can handle the heavy lifting."
Patricia cleared her throat. "Letisha's contributions are valuable, Mark. Let's move on."
But the damage was done.
Letisha felt the heat rise to her cheeks. She had worked so hard. She had earned her place here. But it didn't matter. In their eyes, she was still the face. The object. The person who existed to be looked at, not listened to.
The weeks that followed were worse.
Every time she offered an idea, someone would say, "That's interesting, Letisha," and then immediately turn to someone else for validation.
Every time she tried to lead a discussion, someone would interrupt her, gently, as if she were a child playing dress-up.
She started to shrink. She stopped speaking in meetings. She started arriving early and leaving late, hoping her presence would become normal, unremarkable. But it never did.
One afternoon, she overheard two colleagues at the coffee machine.
"I don't get it. Why is she even here? She could be making triple what we make just smiling at a camera."
"Maybe she can't get work anymore. You know, ageing out."
"Sad, really. She's so beautiful. She just doesn't fit in here."
Letisha walked away before they saw her. She went to the bathroom, locked herself in a stall, and cried silently. Not because they were cruel—they weren't even trying to be. But because they had said what she was afraid was true.
She didn't fit in here.
She didn't know how to be a person who wasn't the person everyone expected her to be.
That night, she sat on her couch, staring at her laptop. An email from a casting director flashed on the screen: "We'd love to have you for a new campaign. Your look is exactly what we need."
She could go back. It would be easy. Familiar. She knew the language of that world. She knew how to be looked at. She knew how to be adored and dismissed in the same breath.
But she didn't want to be looked at anymore.
She wanted to be seen.
The next morning, Letisha walked into the office with a folder under her arm. She had done something she had never done before. She had printed out her work portfolio. Every report she had written. Every analysis. Every deck she had prepared. And she had compiled a list of every idea she had proposed that had been ignored.
She asked Patricia for a private meeting.
Patricia looked at the folder, then at Letisha's face, truly looked, not just glanced. "What's this?"
"This is me," Letisha said. Her voice was steady, though her heart was not. "This is what I can do. I know everyone looks at me and sees the model. I know that's what I was. But I am not just that. I'm not even mostly that anymore."
Patricia flipped through the pages. She was quiet for a long moment.
"Mark said I looked like I was committed to a character," Letisha continued. "But I'm not committed to a character, Patricia. I'm committed to this. I want to be here. I want to contribute. And I need you to see me, not the face on the billboard, but the person sitting in front of you."
Patricia closed the folder. She took off her glasses, and for the first time, Letisha saw something other than managerial efficiency in her eyes. She saw recognition.
"You know," Patricia said slowly, "when I was younger, I was a musician. A pianist. I performed at Carnegie Hall when I was twenty-two. Then I quit. Everyone told me I was insane. They said I was throwing away a gift. But I wanted to do this. Corporate work. And no one took me seriously for years. They just saw the 'former prodigy' and assumed I was playing at business."
Letisha felt her throat tighten.
"It took me a long time," Patricia continued, "to realize that other people's definitions of me were their problem, not mine. I had to stop apologizing for wanting more. And I had to stop letting their disbelief make me disbelieve myself."
She pushed the folder back toward Letisha.
"You presented these ideas in the meeting last week. Mark dismissed them. But I read your report. I saw the data. You were right, and he was wrong. I should have said something then. I'm sorry I didn't."
Letisha blinked. "Wait—you mean my suggestions were actually good?"
Patricia smiled. "I mean they were better than anything Mark has produced in six months. The only thing wrong with them was the person who delivered them. And that's not your fault. That's ours, our unconscious bias."
Two months later, Letisha led her first major campaign.
She stood at the front of the boardroom. The same room where she had been laughed at, interrupted, dismissed. But this time, it was her project. Her strategy. Her deck.
She presented the data. She walked them through the consumer insights. She explained the creative direction, and this time, she let herself use her visual instincts, the ones she had honed over a decade of understanding how images made people feel. She blended her two worlds. The analytical and the artistic.
When she finished, there was silence.
But this time, it was a different kind of silence. The kind that happens when people are impressed.
Mark raised his hand. "I have a question."
Letisha braced herself.
"Why didn't we do this six months ago?" he asked. And he wasn't being sarcastic. He was genuinely asking.
Letisha smiled. Not the practiced, camera-ready smile. The real one. The one she had forgotten she had.
"Because I was waiting for someone to see me," she said. "And then I realized I had to see myself first."
Comments
Post a Comment