The Blueprint in the Drawer
Prevat sat on the edge of his bed, staring at the ceiling fan as it chopped the humid afternoon air into useless currents. The blades spun lazily, never quite cool enough, never quite fast enough, much like his life.
He was twenty-eight years old.
Twenty-eight. The number sat in his chest like a stone. When he was eighteen, twenty-eight had seemed impossibly distant, a mythical age where everything would be figured out. He had pictured himself in a corner office overlooking the Demerara River, wearing a starched white shirt with the sleeves rolled up just so. He had pictured a car that didn't make strange noises when it turned left. He had pictured a woman who looked at him the way his mother looked at his father—with that quiet, unshakeable certainty that everything would be fine.
Instead, he was in his childhood bedroom. The same creaky bed frame. The same faded posters on the wall, curling at the edges. The same nagging feeling that he had somehow taken a wrong turn years ago and was still driving in circles.
The laptop on his desk glowed with an open tab: "How to Start a Business in Guyana—A Complete Guide." It had been open for three weeks. He had read the first paragraph seventeen times.
Prevat's mother called him for lunch, her voice drifting up the stairs like a warm, familiar wave. "Prevat! Food getting cold!"
He shuffled down the wooden steps, his feet memorizing the creaks and groans of each worn board. The kitchen smelled of cook-up rice and fried plantains. His mother, Mrs. Chandrapaul, moved between the stove and the sink with the practiced efficiency of a woman who had been holding her family together for thirty years.
"You look tired," she said, not looking at him.
"I'm fine, Ma."
"You always say that. You didn't sleep again, eh?"
"Couldn't sleep." He sat at the small wooden table, the one they'd had since he was a child, the one with the faint scars from his schoolbooks and his father's elbows. "Just thinking."
"Thinking too much is a disease, you know. Your father used to say—"
"I know, Ma. 'Thinking won't put food on the table.' I remember."
She didn't take the bait. She placed a plate in front of him, piled high with food he didn't have an appetite for. "You have a degree. You have a brain. What are you thinking so hard for?"
He poked at the rice with his fork. "I'm trying to figure things out. But it's like... I have all these ideas. I write them down. I make plans. But when it's time to actually do something, I freeze. I just—" He stopped, unsure how to explain the weight in his chest.
"Your father always said you had too many ideas. He said you needed to pick one and stick with it."
"And look how that turned out for him," Prevat muttered, instantly regretting it.
His mother's hand stilled on the counter. The silence in the kitchen was heavier than the afternoon heat. She didn't turn around. "Your father worked his whole life so you could have a chance. Don't you forget that."
He didn't respond. He couldn't. The guilt was already building in his throat, the familiar knot that had become a permanent resident in his chest. His father had been a mechanic at a garage in Kitty. Hardworking hands, calloused and cracked. A quiet man who never complained, never dreamed too big, never failed because he never tried to fly.
And now Prevat, the son with the University of Guyana degree in Business Management, couldn't even launch a small online retail business. Couldn't send out a single job application without his palms sweating. Couldn't call back the recruiter who had shown interest last month because what if he interviewed and got the job and then couldn't handle it and then everyone would know he was a fraud?
The thought looped in his head, an old song he couldn't stop replaying.
Later that evening, Prevat sat in his room with the door closed. The familiar suffocation set in, the mental walls pressing closer, the ceiling lowering, the weight of his own expectations crushing his ribs.
He opened the drawer of his desk.
Inside lay a collection of failure, neatly organized. Six notebooks, each filled with business plans. A stack of printed articles about entrepreneurship. Business cards from networking events he'd attended but never followed up on. A USB drive with a business proposal he'd spent three months writing. Three months of research, pricing models, supplier lists. All of it sitting in a drawer, gathering dust.
And at the bottom of the drawer, a resignation letter to his current job at the insurance company. He'd written it six times in the past year. He'd never printed it.
"Just pick one," he whispered to himself, echoing his mother. "Just pick one thing and do it."
But every time he reached for something, an idea, a job application, a chance, his chest would tighten, and his mind would flood with a thousand reasons why it wouldn't work. Why he wasn't good enough. Why he'd fail, and then everyone would see the failure, and then there would be nothing left. No excuses. No "I'm still figuring it out." Just the stark, undeniable truth that he had tried and fallen short.
It was easier to stay in the room. Easier to dream. Safer to plan and never launch.
He closed the drawer and put his head in his hands.
His best friend, Marvin, finally dragged him out of the house on a Saturday night. They sat at a small bar in the city, the kind with plastic chairs and a speaker playing old soca music, the volume just loud enough to fill the silence between friends.
"Bai, you look like death," Marvin said, taking a long sip of his beer. "What's going on with you?"
Prevat shrugged. "Nothing. Everything. Same thing."
"You know, when you talk like that, it sounds like you're having a whole conversation in your head and I'm not invited." Marvin leaned forward. "Talk to me. For real."
Prevat stared at the condensation on his bottle. "I'm twenty-eight, Marvin. I'm still in my mother's house. I work a job I hate, filing insurance claims for people who actually have lives. I have all these ideas—" He gestured vaguely with his hand. "—and I can't do any of them. Every time I try, I freeze. I just... freeze."
"Freeze how?"
"I don't know. It's like my whole body just locks up. My heart starts beating too fast, and my head goes empty, and I feel like something bad is about to happen. Like I'm standing on the edge of a cliff and I'm about to fall. Even if I'm just sitting at my desk. I can't think. I can't move. And then I start thinking about what a failure I am, and it just—" He exhaled sharply. "It never ends."
Marvin was quiet for a long moment. Then he said, softly, "You know you're not a failure, right?"
"I feel like one."
"Feeling and being are two different things." Marvin set his bottle down. "You remember when we used to play football in the yard? And you'd always make these big plans for the team, all these plays and strategies? And then the ball would come to you, and you'd freeze? You'd just stand there and the ball would roll past."
Prevat winced. "Thanks for reminding me."
"I'm not trying to be an ass. I'm trying to say you've always done that. You freeze when the pressure's on. But you always came back. You'd miss the goal, and you'd be pissed at yourself, but you'd show up next week. That's not failure. That's just... being scared."
"Being scared at twenty-eight is failure."
"No, bai. Being scared is human. Staying scared forever, that's a choice." Marvin leaned back in his chair. "You stay in that room because it's safe. I get it. But nothing good ever happened in that room. You got your degree in a room. That was good. But the life you want? That's not in there."
Prevat wanted to argue, but the words stuck in his throat. Because Marvin was right.
"I don't know how to leave," Prevat admitted, his voice barely audible. "I've been in that room so long, I don't know if I even remember how to be anything else."
That night, Prevat lay awake again, the familiar darkness pressing in. But something was different. Marvin's words echoed in his head, not like judgment but like a key.
Staying scared forever—that's a choice.
He thought about his father. His quiet, hardworking father who had never dreamt big but had always showed up. Every day. At the garage. Fixing cars. Coming home with grease under his nails and a small paycheck. He hadn't failed because he hadn't set a standard he couldn't meet. He'd just shown up.
Prevat had always dreamed so big that the size of the dream became its own barrier. He wanted the corner office, the successful business, the life that looked like a movie. But he hadn't been willing to start small. To fail small. To learn small.
He swung his legs over the side of the bed and walked to his desk.
He opened the drawer.
He pulled out the resignation letter. He read it. Then he crumpled it and threw it in the trash.
Not because he was staying at the insurance company forever. But because that letter wasn't the answer. The letter was just another fantasy—a symbol of escape. The real escape didn't come from quitting. It came from starting.
He pulled out one of the notebooks. The one for the small online retail business. The one he'd spent months planning. He flipped it open. The market research, the supplier list, the pricing models were all there. The plan was good. It was always good.
The execution was what scared him.
He opened his laptop and clicked on the tab that had been open for three weeks. "How to Start a Business in Guyana—A Complete Guide."
He read the first paragraph.
Then the second.
Then the third.
His hand hovered over the mouse, trembling slightly. His heart was pounding. The familiar tightness returned to his chest. The voice in his head started up—What if it fails? What if you're not good enough? What if you waste all your money and everyone laughs at you?
He closed his eyes. He breathed. He thought of his father, who had never asked for anything except that his son try. He thought of Marvin, showing up every Saturday to drag him out of the house. He thought of his mother, feeding him even when he didn't deserve it.
He opened his eyes.
He clicked on the "Register" button for the small business registry.
It wasn't a corner office. It wasn't a fortune. It was just a tiny step. One step. A registration form for a business that might fail. That probably would fail, at least at first.
But it was a start.
And as he typed his name into the digital form, his hands still trembling, his chest still tight, he felt something he hadn't felt in years.
Hope.
It was small and fragile, like a flickering candle in a storm. But it was there. And for the first time in a long time, Prevat didn't freeze.
He pressed submit.
Six months later
The room was the same. The ceiling fan still spun lazily. The posters still curled at the edges. But the desk was different. The notebooks were gone, replaced by a small shipping scale and a stack of packaging materials.
Prevat's phone buzzed. A new order. He smiled, a small, tired, genuine smile.
He still had anxiety. Sometimes it crept back in—the fear, the dread, the feeling that he was one mistake away from losing everything. It still woke him up at 3 AM sometimes. He still stared at the ceiling and wondered if he was doing enough, if he would ever be enough.
But now he had something else, too. A small online business that didn't make him rich but made him feel useful. A routine that got him out of the house. Customers who sent thank-you messages. A reason to wake up in the morning that wasn't just dread.
His mother called up the stairs. "Prevat! Your friend Marvin is here!"
He walked to the door, his feet finding the familiar creaks and groans. But this time, the house didn't feel like a cage. It felt like a launching pad.
Marvin grinned when he saw him. "Looking less dead today. Progress."
"Progress," Prevat agreed.
They walked out into the Guyanese sun, the heat hitting them like a wall. Prevat squinted, adjusting to the brightness.
"Where we going?" Marvin asked.
"To get a bank account. I need to separate my business funds from my personal account."
Marvin raised an eyebrow. "Look at you. Acting like a real businessman."
"I'm trying," Prevat said. "One step at a time."
He didn't have the corner office. He didn't have the fancy car. He still lived in his mother's house, and some days the anxiety still gripped him by the throat.
But he was moving. Finally, after all these years, he was moving.
And that, he decided, was enough for now.
Comments
Post a Comment