The Weight of Three Names

 Makela had three names now, and each one felt like a different person she was supposed to be.

There was Makela, the girl from Kingston who grew up selling homemade pepper sauces at the market with her grandmother, who learned to read customers before she learned to read chapter books, who believed that hustle was a language everyone understood. That Makela had packed two suitcases and moved to Toronto in February, a month she now understood was an act of aggression against people, because she'd seen something on Instagram about Canada's startup visa and thought, Why not me?

Then there was Mommy, which her son Kaden had started saying three months ago, and which he now screamed at 5:47 AM every morning with the urgency of a fire alarm. Mommy was the one who knew that Kaden would only eat scrambled eggs if they were slightly runny, that his stuffed turtle had to face the door at bedtime, that a diaper change required a three-minute song about dinosaurs or the whole operation collapsed into chaos. Mommy was exhausted, constantly, in a way that felt cellular.

And then there was babe, which Colin still called her, though sometimes she could hear him searching for it, the way you search for a word in a language you haven't spoken in a while. Babe was the one who used to dance with him in their tiny Scarborough apartment, who used to laugh when he burned the curry chicken because he'd never cooked with scotch bonnets before, who used to have energy for wanting him. Now babe mostly fell asleep during movies and forgot to ask about his day at the auto shop.


The morning it all cracked open was a Tuesday in March. The kind of morning that should have been ordinary.

Kaden had woken up at 5:47, as scheduled by whatever cruel toddler god governed these things. Makela had sung the dinosaur song, made the slightly runny eggs, negotiated the wearing of pants ("Kaden, it's March in Canada"), and gotten him into his coat while Colin showered. She'd handed Kaden off with a kiss that landed somewhere near Colin's collarbone, and sat down at her desk, the sofa of their living room at 7:15 AM.

Her business, IslandBlend, sold Caribbean-inspired wellness products online: turmeric face masks, sea moss gels, coconut body butters. She'd started it because she missed home, because the Canadian winter was doing something violent to her skin, because she'd needed to feel capable of making something in a country that often made her feel small. It was growing. Slowly. Painfully. She had forty-three orders to fulfill by Friday, a supplier in St. Lucia who'd gone silent, and a TikTok video to film before Kaden came home from daycare at 4.

By 10 AM, she'd answered customer emails, negotiated with a new shipping partner, and discovered that her payment processor was holding her funds for "routine verification." She was on hold with them. The hold music was a special kind of psychological warfare when her phone buzzed.

Daycare. Kaden had a fever. 101.2. Needed pickup immediately.

She looked at her screen. Forty-three orders. The silent supplier. The held funds. The TikTok video. The hold music still playing, indifferent to her existence.

"I have to go," she said to no one, and hung up.


The walk to daycare was twenty minutes through slush that soaked her sneakers. She hadn't bought winter boots yet. Every time she thought about it, something else demanded the money whether it was Kaden's growth spurt, the new inventory, the hydro bill that had made her gasp last month. She kept meaning to. She kept not doing it.

Kaden was asleep when she got there, his small body heavy with fever, his teacher looking at her with the particular sympathy of someone who'd seen this a thousand times.

"He's been asking for you," the teacher said.

Makela carried him home, his head on her shoulder, his breath hot against her neck. She thought of her mother, who'd raised four children while running a catering business from their kitchen in Kingston, who'd never seemed to flinch, who'd made it look like a dance. Makela had asked her once, years later, how she'd done it.

"I didn't," her mother had said, laughing. "I just didn't let anyone see me cry."

At home, she laid Kaden on the couch, gave him medicine, put on Bluey,  which she'd watched so many times she had existential thoughts about Bandit's parenting, and opened her laptop.

The payment processor had sent an email. Verification would take 5-7 business days. She had $247 in her business account. The supplier in St. Lucia still hadn't responded. She needed to film that TikTok.

Kaden whimpered in his sleep. She closed the laptop.


Colin came home at 6:30, smelling of motor oil and winter, and found her on the couch with Kaden still asleep on her chest, her laptop open to an abandoned half-written email, a cold cup of tea on the table.

"You didn't have to get him," he said, though his face said he was relieved.

"Daycare called."

"You could've called me. I would've left early."

She looked at him. When had they stopped being able to read each other? When had "you could've called me" started feeling like an accusation instead of an offer?

"I didn't think of it," she said, which was true. She hadn't thought of him as a resource. She'd thought of him as another person she was failing, the husband whose dinner she hadn't made, whose stories she didn't ask about, whose body she hadn't touched in weeks because by the time Kaden slept, she had nothing left.

He sat down on the other end of the couch, careful not to jostle Kaden.

"How's the business?"

"Holding my money. Supplier's ghosting me. Forty-three orders I can't ship."

"Colin—"

"Don't." She didn't know what he was going to say, but she knew she couldn't bear it. Sympathy, advice, frustration — any of it would break something.

They sat in silence. Kaden stirred, murmured something about dinosaurs, settled back into sleep.

"I miss you," Colin said quietly.

She felt it like a physical thing, those three words. She wanted to say them back. She wanted to say a hundred things back. But she was so tired, and there were still forty-three orders, and the supplier, and the TikTok, and Kaden's fever, and the winter boots she still hadn't bought, and somewhere in all of it she'd lost the thread of who she was to this man who'd followed her to a country neither of them understood.

"I miss me too," she said.


That night, after Colin took Kaden to their bed "I'll handle the wake-ups, you sleep" 

Makela sat at her folding table and did something she hadn't done in months.

She called her grandmother.

It was late in Kingston, but Nana answered on the second ring, her voice thick with sleep but instantly alert.

"Makie? What's wrong?"

And then Makela was crying, really crying, the kind she'd been holding back since the airport in Montego Bay, since the first Canadian winter, since Kaden was born and she'd realized that love could feel like drowning.

She told Nana everything. The business. The money. The supplier. The boots. The way Colin looked at her now, like she was a stranger he was trying to remember. The way she felt split into pieces, none of them whole.

Nana listened. Nana had always been good at listening. When Makela finally ran out of words, there was a long silence, filled with the static of an international call and the memory of market mornings, Nana's hands wrapping pepper sauces while she haggled with customers who underestimated her.

"You know what your problem is?" Nana said finally.

"I'm failing at everything?"

"You're trying to be a Canadian."

Makela blinked. "What?"

"In Jamaica, we don't have this 'balance' foolishness. You do what needs doing. Set priorities. You feed your child. You make your money. You love your husband. Sometimes one thing needs more. Sometimes another. You don't balance them like they're weights on a scale. You carry them like bags. Some days the business bag is heavy, some days the baby bag is heavy. You adjust your grip. You keep walking."

"But I'm so tired, Nana."

"Of course you're tired. You're carrying three bags and pretending you should only be carrying one. Stop pretending."

Makela stared at her laptop, at the abandoned email, at the photo of Kaden she'd taped to the wall — him at six months, grinning with his whole body.

"What if I drop one?"

"Then you pick it up. Or you set it down for a minute. But you don't stand there arguing with yourself about whether you should be carrying it. That's what makes you tired. Not the bags. The arguing."


She didn't sleep that night. She thought about Nana's words, about the way she'd been fighting herself — hating herself for working when Kaden needed her, hating herself for parenting when the business needed her, hating herself for being too exhausted to be a wife when Colin needed her.

The fighting was the exhaustion. The resistance was the weight.

At 4 AM, she opened her laptop and wrote an email to her customers. Not the professional one she'd been drafting. A real one.

Hi. I'm Makela, the founder of IslandBlend. I'm also a mom to a toddler with a fever, a wife to a man I'm learning to show up for again, and a Jamaican in Canada who's still figuring out winter boots. My payment processor is holding my funds and my supplier has gone quiet, so your orders will be delayed by about a week. I'm sorry. I'm doing my best. If you need a refund, I understand. If you can wait, I'll include something extra for your patience. Either way, thank you for supporting a small business run by a very human person.

She read it three times. She almost deleted it.

She sent it.

Then she went to bed.


She woke to Colin's hand on her shoulder, gentle, the way he used to wake her in Kingston when the morning light was gold and the day felt possible.

"You need to see this," he said.

He handed her his phone. Her email had been screenshotted and shared across Instagram, Twitter, TikTok. This is what honesty looks like, someone had written. I'm crying, said another. Just bought three things from her shop, said a third.

Her inbox had 200 new messages. Most were variations of take your time, we've got you. Some were from other immigrant entrepreneurs, sharing their own stories of breakdown and rebuilding. One was from a supplier in Trinidad who'd seen the post and wanted to talk.

She looked at Colin. He was smiling, the real one, the one that reached his eyes.

"You good?" he asked.

"I'm carrying three bags," she said.

"I know."

"I might need help sometimes."

"I know that too."

Kaden was awake in the other room, calling for Mommy in that urgent way that meant the dinosaur song was required. Makela got up, stretched, felt the ache in her shoulders from carrying too much for too long.

But she didn't feel like she was drowning anymore.

She felt like she was walking.


That evening, after Kaden's fever broke, after Colin made curry chicken with scotch bonnets that actually didn't burn, after they put Kaden to bed with his turtle facing the door, Makela sat at her folding table and filmed the TikTok.

Not the polished one she'd planned. She filmed herself in her hoodie, her hair in a messy bun, Kaden's dinosaur toy visible on the couch behind her.

"I'm Makela," she said to the camera. "I run a business. I'm a mom. I'm a wife. I'm from Jamaica and I live in Canada and I don't have winter boots yet. Some days I think I'm failing at all of it. But I'm learning that maybe the point isn't to balance everything perfectly. Maybe the point is to stop fighting myself for being exactly where I am."

She posted it. She didn't check the views.

Instead, she went to the couch where Colin was waiting, and she sat close enough that their thighs touched, and she asked him about his day, and she listened to the whole answer.

It wasn't fixed. The supplier was still silent, the funds were still held, the orders were still delayed. She was still tired. She would probably always be tired, in some way.

But she wasn't arguing with herself anymore.

She was just carrying her bags, adjusting her grip, and keeping walking.


In Kingston, her grandmother wrapped pepper sauces and smiled at a customer who tried to lowball her. "My granddaughter," she said, "is learning to carry her bags."

"She'll be alright," the customer said, handing over the full price.

"She already is," Nana replied.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The river

Merrick's Ridge

The diver