The Interview That Changed Everything
The hotel suite smelled of expensive lavender and old paper. Ingrid Connolly sat perched on the edge of a velvet armchair, her silver-streaked hair pulled back in a loose knot, reading glasses dangling from a chain around her neck. At sixty-eight, she had the posture of a woman who had spent decades being listened to, her shoulders back, chin up, and eyes that missed nothing.
Across from her, clutching a notebook like a lifeline, sat seventeen-year-old Kaelani Thomas. Her hands were trembling slightly. She had flown from Antigua to New York for this, saved her waitressing tips for six months, begged her mother, lied to her teachers about a "family emergency."
All to meet the woman who had written The Blueprint of You, Habits of the Unshakeable, and The Morning Code.
All to meet the woman whose life she wanted to copy.
"Miss Connolly," Kaelani began, her Caribbean accent softening the edges of her words, "I've read all your books. Every single one. I know your morning routine. I know you wake at 4:47 AM, not 4:45, not 5:00, because you said 'precision creates discipline.' I know you write exactly 1,247 words before breakfast. I know you take cold showers for exactly ninety seconds. I know—"
Ingrid held up a hand. Her nails were unpainted. Practical.
"Child," she said, her voice a low rumble, "you know my habits. But do you know me?"
Kaelani blinked. "I... I want to be you. I want to write books like yours. I want to help people the way you do. I've been copying your routine for eight months now. I even bought the same brand of fountain pen."
Ingrid leaned forward. The lavender scent grew stronger.
"Let me tell you a story," she said. "And I want you to listen. Not to take notes. Just to hear."
The Story of Ingrid Connolly
"Forty years ago," Ingrid began, settling deeper into the chair, "I was a secretary at a publishing house in London. I typed other people's manuscripts. I made their coffee. I watched them become famous.
And I thought: I can do that. I just need to do what they do.
So I studied them. I noted their habits. I even took on a mentor in my mind. Gerald woke at 5:00 AM. He drank black coffee and chain-smoked. I woke at 5:00 AM and drank black coffee and chain-smoked, even though I hated coffee and the cigarettes made me vomit.
Margaret wrote in complete silence. I wrote in complete silence, even though my brain screamed for music.
Hector wore tweed jackets with leather patches. I wore tweed jackets with leather patches, even though I looked like a scarecrow who had fallen into a thrift store.
I was a wretched imitation. A bad copy. A xerox of a xerox of a xerox."
Kaelani's face fell. "But... your books..."
"Oh, my books came later. But first came the crisis." Ingrid smiled, but it was a sharp, knowing smile. "One day, I was typing Gerald's new manuscript. And I realized: I had typed his words for ten years. I had lived his schedule for ten years. I had worn his clothes for ten years.
And I had never written a single sentence of my own.
I went home that night, and I took every habit tracker, every 'success ritual' checklist, every schedule I had copied from them, and I burned them in my fireplace.
And then I sat down and asked myself a question I had never asked before: What actually works for Ingrid?"
The Discovery
Kaelani had stopped trembling. Her notebook sat closed on her lap. She was listening.
"I discovered," Ingrid continued, "that I am a disaster in the morning. I am groggy. I am irritable. I am useless until 9:00 AM. So I stopped waking at 5:00. I wake at 8:30. And I write from 10:00 PM to 2:00 AM. That is when my brain sings.
I discovered that I need noise. Chaotic, messy, overlapping noise. So I write in coffee shops with terrible music and loud conversations. I thrive in the middle of chaos.
I discovered that tweed makes me itch. So I write in sweats and slippers.
I discovered that I don't care about black coffee. I drink hot chocolate with extra marshmallows.
I discovered that the fountain pen Gerald used gave me cramps. So I type. I type like a maniac. I type 3,000 words in an hour and they pour out of me like water.
And you know what happened?
I wrote my first book in six weeks. Not because I was disciplined, but because I was finally having fun.
My editor hated it. She said it was 'too weird.' She said no one would buy a habit book that told people to break all the rules.
I published it anyway. Self-published. Because I didn't want to be 'marketable.' I wanted to be true.
It sold seventeen copies in the first month.
Seventeen.
And then those seventeen people told their friends. And their friends told their friends. And within a year, I was on the bestseller list. Not because I was a copy of something that worked, but because I was an original of something that no one had ever seen."
The Moment of Truth
Ingrid stood up. She walked to the window and looked out at the Manhattan skyline.
"Kaelani," she said without turning, "why do you want to write?"
Kaelani swallowed. Her voice was small. "Because I want to help people. Like you do. I want to be important. I want people to—"
Ingrid spun around. Her eyes were fire.
"No," she said. "That's what you think you should say. That's the copy answer. What is the real answer? The one you're afraid to say?"
Kaelani's eyes welled up. She looked down at her hands.
"Because," she whispered, "when I write... I feel real. In Antigua, everyone expects me to be a nurse or a teacher or a good Caribbean girl who stays close to home. But when I write, I'm not their version of me. I'm... me. And I'm terrified that if I don't do it perfectly, if I don't follow the rules, I'll fail and everyone will say 'we told you so.'"
Ingrid walked back to the chair and sat down. Her voice softened.
"Child," she said, "I have been where you are. I know the fear. I know the pressure. I know the weight of everyone's expectations crushing your chest until you can barely breathe.
But listen to me. Listen.
There are two paths in life.
The first is the Path of Duplication. You copy the habits, the routines, the aesthetics of someone who succeeded. You do what they did. You wear what they wore. You speak how they spoke.
And you know what that path leads to?
You may make money but it always leads to a watered-down version of someone else's success. You will be successful, perhaps. Comfortable. Admired. But you will always know, deep in your bones, that something is missing and you are a fraud. That you took the shortcut. That you are a cover band at a concert where the original isn't even playing anymore.
The second path is the Path of Discovery. You look at the people who inspire you, and you ask not 'What did they do?' but 'What did they discover about themselves that made them succeed?'
You take their wisdom, not their methods.
You learn that discipline matters, but you define discipline on your terms.
You learn that consistency matters—but you find and commit to the rhythm that fits your soul.
You learn that hard work matters, but you work hard at what you love, not what you think you should love."
The Gift
Kaelani was crying now. Silent tears sliding down her brown cheeks.
"But... I don't know what I love," she said. "I don't know what works for me. I'm only seventeen. I'm scared of getting it wrong."
Ingrid reached out and took Kaelani's hand. Her grip was firm. Warm.
"Kaelani, you are not a finished product. You are a prototype. And prototypes are supposed to be messy. They're supposed to break. They're supposed to fail. How do you know how to be something you never were?
Here is what I want you to do."
She pulled a pen from her bag, a simple, cheap ballpoint, not the expensive fountain pen Kaelani had bought.
"I want you to burn your copy of my schedule," Ingrid said. "Literally or metaphorically. Stop waking at 4:47. Stop writing 1,247 words. Stop taking ninety-second cold showers if you hate them.
Instead, I want you to experiment.
Try waking at 6:00. Try 9:00. Try writing at midnight. Or even midday
Try writing with music. Try silence. Try writing in the park.
Try typing. Try speaking into a recorder. Try writing with crayons. I don't care.
Try everything. Fail at everything. And when you find the one thing that makes your heart race and your fingers fly and your soul sing, that is your path.
Not my path. Not Gerald's. Not Margaret's. Yours.
And then take that path. Walk it boldly. Defend it violently within yourself. And when you publish your first book—and you will, child, you absolutely will—you send me a copy.
And I will read it. And I will see you in every single word. Not a bad copy of me. Not a duplicate. But an original.
Because the world doesn't need another Ingrid Connolly.
The world needs the first Kaelani Thomas."
The End of the Interview
The interview ended two hours later. They talked about Antigua, about Kaelani's grandmother who told stories by the sea, about the novels she had started and abandoned, about her secret dream of writing fantasy. A fantasy world inspired by Caribbean folklore.
As Kaelani stood to leave, Ingrid pressed a small card into her hand.
"My personal email," she said. "Write to me. Not when you're 'ready.' Not when you have the perfect routine. Write to me when you write something that scares you. That embarrasses you. That makes you think 'this is too weird to share.'
That is when I want to hear from you.
Because that, Kaelani, is when you'll be doing it right."
Kaelani clutched the card to her chest. "Thank you," she whispered. "I thought I needed to become you to succeed. But you showed me that I needed to become more of myself."
Ingrid smiled, a full, warm, genuine smile that reached her eyes.
"Go home, child. Go write. And remember: Be the first draft, not the reprint. Be the original, not the imitation. Be the strange, messy, terrifying, magnificent version of you that no one has ever seen.
Because that version?
That version changes the world."
Kaelani walked out of the hotel suite into the chaos of New York City. Her heart was pounding. Her hands were no longer trembling.
She pulled out her notebook. She tore out every page containing Ingrid's copied schedule, Ingrid's copied habits, Ingrid's copied words.
She threw them in the nearest trash can.
And then she pulled out her phone, opened a blank document, and wrote the first sentence of a novel about a mermaid who lived in the Caribbean sea and spoke to the ghosts of pirates.
She wrote for three hours straight. She missed her train. She didn't care.
For the first time in her life, Kaelani Thomas wasn't copying anyone.
She was being herself.
And it felt like freedom.
Comments
Post a Comment