The Hardest Risk

Winston sat in the back of the black SUV, watching the rain lash against the sugarcane fields outside his window. The road to the airport was a familiar one. He had traveled it hundreds of times over four decades. But today, the weight in his chest was heavier than usual.

At seventy-two, Winston was the longest-serving CEO in the Caribbean insurance industry. He had started as a young man with a polyester tie and a leather satchel, knocking on doors in the sweltering heat of Port of Spain, selling life policies to housewives and taxi drivers who looked at him like he was selling snake oil.

"Young man," an old fisherman had once told him, squinting through the smoke of his cigarette, "you want me to buy insurance against death? When I die, I dead. What I need money for?"

Winston had laughed then, a nervous, boyish laugh. He had not known how to answer. He only knew that he needed the commission to pay for his mother's medical bills.

Now, he knew the answer. He had spent fifty years learning it.


The boardroom at the Kingston headquarters was silent when Winston walked in. The board members, younger men and women in sharp suits with digital tablets and restless energy, watched him settle into his chair. They respected him, but they did not understand him. They had grown up in an era of algorithms and instant data. Winston had grown up in an era of handshakes and gut feelings.

"Winston," the chairman began carefully, "we've reviewed the projections. The hurricane models are worse than we've ever seen. The reinsurers are pulling back. If we don't raise premiums significantly, we're exposed. Catastrophic exposure."

Winston nodded slowly. He had reviewed the same models. He had seen the same charts. The numbers were clear: the risk was real, and the logical response was to protect the bottom line.

But Winston was not looking at the numbers. He was looking at the faces of the people he had served for fifty years.

He thought of a woman in Grenada named Mrs. Baptiste. He had sold her a fire policy in 1987, back when he was still a junior agent. She had paid her premiums faithfully for thirty years. When Hurricane Ivan destroyed her home, Winston had personally authorized her payout within seventy-two hours. She had cried on the phone, calling him a "guardian angel." He had not told her that he had bent the company rules to do it. He had not told anyone.

He thought of a fisherman in Tobago, the one who had mocked him all those years ago. That fisherman had eventually bought a policy, not because he believed in it, but because his wife had insisted. When the fisherman drowned in a squall fifteen years later, Winston had delivered the cheque to his widow with his own hands. She had used it to send her children to university.


Winston leaned forward. His voice was low, gravelly, worn smooth by decades of hard conversations.

"When I started in this business," he said, "I had nothing but a smile and a prayer. I knocked on doors in communities where people didn't trust banks, didn't trust government, and certainly didn't trust a young man in a cheap suit selling promises. But I learned something."

He paused, looking at each board member in turn.

"I learned that insurance is not about numbers. It is not about actuarial tables or profit margins. Insurance is about trust. It is about a grandmother in Kingston knowing that if her roof collapses, she will not be left to beg. It is about a young father in Barbados knowing that his children will eat if he cannot work. It is about a small hotel owner in Antigua knowing that his life's work is not one storm away from ruin."

The chairman shifted uncomfortably. "Winston, we understand the sentiment. But sentiment does not pay the bills. If we don't raise premiums—"

"Raise them," Winston cut in, his voice firm. "Raise them for the high-end properties. Raise them for the commercial portfolios. Raise them for the villa owners and the hotel chains. But do not raise them for the families. Do not raise them for the people who have paid faithfully for thirty years and have never made a single claim."

"That leaves us exposed," a younger board member said.

Winston smiled. It was a tired smile, but there was steel behind it.

"Exposed is where I have lived my entire career," he said. "When I was a young agent, I was exposed every single day. I walked into homes where people had nothing, and I asked them to give me their hard-earned money for a promise they could not see. I was exposed to rejection. I was exposed to failure. I was exposed to the shame of going home empty-handed."


He stood up slowly, his knees aching from decades of climbing stairs and walking gravel roads.

"But I also learned that when you take care of people, they take care of you. The Baptiste family? They referred thirty clients to me. The fisherman's widow? She became my biggest advocate in Tobago. The hotel owner in Antigua? He introduced me to the prime minister. Every single person I served became my marketing department, my reputation, my legacy."

He walked to the window and looked out at the blue Caribbean sea, the same sea that had brought hurricanes and tourists, tragedy and prosperity, to the islands he loved.

"The reinsurers will come back," he said quietly. "The models will adjust. The storms will pass. But if we abandon our policyholders now, they will never trust us again. And without trust, we are nothing. We are just a building with a sign. We are just numbers on a spreadsheet."

The board was silent.

Winston retired six months later. At his farewell ceremony, hundreds of people showed up, not executives or dignitaries, but ordinary people. Teachers. Fishermen. Shopkeepers. Grandmothers.

They came to thank him.

One elderly woman, Mrs. Baptiste, now frail and gray, walked up to the podium. She took the microphone with shaking hands.

"Mr. Winston," she said, her voice thick with emotion, "you saved my home. You saved my family. But more than that, you treated me like a person. Not a policy number. A person."

She looked out at the crowd.

"In the Caribbean, we have hurricanes, and we have earthquakes, and we have hard times. But we also have people like Mr. Winston. People who understand that the hardest risk to manage is not the storm. It is the risk of forgetting who we serve."

Winston sat in the front row, his eyes glistening.

He had started with nothing but a smile and a prayer. He was leaving with something far greater: a legacy of trust that no hurricane could ever wash away.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The river

Merrick's Ridge

The diver