The Girl Who Prepared for Glory (While Eating Popcorn)

 Lucia had a dream. She told everyone about it.

"I'm going to be a writer," she'd say, swirling her coffee with theatrical gravity. "A vlogger, too. The kind with substance. The kind that makes people feel things."

Her Instagram bio read: Storyteller. Daydreamer. In Progress.

Her YouTube channel had exactly zero videos.


Every morning at precisely 7:32 AM, Lucia opened her laptop. She wore her "creative uniform"—an oversized cardigan, glasses she didn't need, and a determined expression that she practiced in the mirror.

She opened a blank document.

She stared at it.

And then, because a writer needs inspiration, she opened YouTube.


"Just a quick scroll," she whispered. "Just to see what the trends are."

Three hours later, she had watched:

•        A minimalist decluttering her fridge with mason jars.

•        A poet in Paris writing with a fountain pen (she bought the pen immediately).

•        A productivity guru explaining why waking up at 4 AM changes your life (Lucia set her alarm for 4 AM. She snoozed it until 9).

•        Seventeen "Day in the Life" vlogs that made her feel simultaneously inspired and deeply inadequate.

She took notes. Extensive notes. Color-coded notes.

The blank document remained blank.


By noon, Lucia felt a familiar heaviness behind her eyes. The creative fatigue. The exhaustion of absorbing so much potential.

She was spent.

She had scrolled through 400 Instagram posts—saved 62—and curated a Pinterest board titled "Vibes for Future Content." She had researched camera equipment, lighting setups, and microphone brands. She had even created a mood board for her future studio.

Her body ached from the effort.

"I need to recharge," she announced to her cat, who was asleep on the couch. "Self-care is important for artists."


The popcorn was in the microwave by 12:17 PM.

Netflix opened automatically, almost telepathically, because at this point, the algorithm knew her better than her mother did.

She chose something "light." Something she didn't have to think about. Something that wouldn't drain her already depleted creative reserves.

She told herself she'd watch just one episode.

She watched six.


When the credits rolled on the season finale, sunlight had abandoned the room. Lucia blinked at the darkness, disoriented. The popcorn bowl was empty. Her cat had moved to her lap. The laptop sat beside her, sleeping, its open document still containing nothing but a blinking cursor that now felt accusatory.

She checked her phone.

Her favorite creator had posted a new video. The title: "How I Write 10,000 Words a Day."

Lucia felt a pang of something, maybe jealousy? inspiration? shame? She immediately clicked.

The creator was beautiful. Effortless. She typed on a vintage typewriter while sipping matcha.

"I don't try," the creator said, laughing delicately. "I just flow."

Lucia hated her. She also wanted to be her.

She added matcha to her grocery list.

"Tomorrow," Lucia said, closing her laptop with ceremony. "Tomorrow, I start for real."

She opened her journal, a beautiful leather-bound one she had bought months ago,and wrote:

Today: rest, preparation, inspiration. Tomorrow: execution.

She posted a photo of the journal to Instagram, captioning it: "Planting seeds. Growth takes time. 🌱"

Her phone buzzed with likes.

She felt productive.

She felt seen.

She felt, for a moment, like the writer and vlogger she was destined to be.


The next morning, Lucia woke at 4:00 AM.

She made a matcha latte. She put on the cardigan. She positioned her laptop at the perfect angle.

She opened YouTube, just to check the algorithm, just to see what people are responding to.

Four hours later, she was watching a documentary about the migrations of arctic terns.

She had learned everything about arctic terns. She knew their flight patterns, their mating rituals, their approximate wingspan.

She still hadn't written a single sentence.


"The problem," Lucia explained to her cat, "is that I'm a perfectionist. I can't just put anything out there. It has to mean something."

The cat yawned.

Lucia nodded sagely. "Exactly. You get it."

She spent the afternoon redesigning her thumbnail templates. She researched color theory. She watched a webinar on audience retention.

By evening, she was exhausted again.

She ordered pizza.

She scrolled Twitter.

She watched a thread where a famous author described her process.

The famous author wrote at 5 AM. In a cabin. Without internet.

Lucia added "remote cabin" to her vision board.


"The thing about preparation," Lucia announced on her Instagram Story later that night, "is that it IS the work. We live in a culture that only values output, but input matters too. I'm filling the well. I'm letting the ideas marinate. I'm trusting the process."

She posted the Story.

Twenty-two people replied with fire emojis.

Lucia smiled, closed her phone, and opened Netflix.

Just one more episode.

She had earned it.


Two months passed.

Lucia's YouTube subscriptions had grown to 400. Her Pinterest boards were immaculate. Her notebooks were filled with outlines, ideas, quotes, and beautiful calligraphy.

She knew everything about everything.

She had opinions on lighting, camera lenses, editing software, thumbnail fonts, posting schedules, algorithm changes, and content strategies.

She had theories about storytelling, narrative arcs, character development, and pacing.

She had nothing to show for it.


One Netflix-and-popcorn Tuesday Lucia's mother called.

"So," her mother said, in that tone that made Lucia's spine stiffen, "when can I see one of your videos? I've been telling all the neighbors about my famous daughter."

Lucia froze. She was holding a handful of popcorn. Netflix was paused on a scene where a man was dramatically staring out a window.

"It's... a process, Mom. I'm being very intentional."

"Intentional about what? You've been 'intentional' since you graduated from that art school two years ago."

Lucia felt her face burn. "Art takes time. You wouldn't understand."

"I understand you're eating popcorn while the world moves on. Show me one sentence. One video. One anything."

Lucia opened her mouth.

Nothing came out.


After the call, Lucia sat in silence.

The cat watched her warily.

She looked at her open laptop. The blank document. The overwhelming library of "research." The saved photos of cabins she would never buy. The matcha powder she had used twice.

She scrolled through her Instagram feed.

There were so many creators. So many writers. So many people who had started something even if it was imperfect, even if it was messy, even if it wasn't ready.

Her own feed was full of promises.

No deliveries.


"I'm not afraid," she whispered to herself. "I'm not."

But she was.

She was terrified.

Terrified that her writing would be average. Terrified that her vlogs would be ignored. Terrified that she would try and fail and then she couldn't pretend anymore.

As long as she was "preparing," she was safe. As long as she was scrolling, she was "inspired." As long as she was watching, she was "learning."

But learning wasn't doing. And inspiration wasn't output.

She had spent months building a beautiful, elaborate, perfectly organized waiting room.

She had never walked through the door.


Lucia closed Netflix.

She closed YouTube.

She opened a new document, not the one full of notes, not the one with the perfect formatting, but a blank, ugly, unpretentious page.

She typed:

"My name is Lucia. I am a writer. I am a vlogger. I have been preparing to become these things for two years. Today, I am going to write something terrible. I am going to film something embarrassing. I am going to post it anyway."

She stared at the words.

They were messy. They were clunky. They were, to be honest, pretty bad.

But they were real.


Lucia picked up her phone. She propped it against a coffee mug. She pressed record.

"Hi," she said, voice trembling. "I'm Lucia. I've never done this before. And I'm terrified. And I'm still doing it."

She posted the video.

It got twelve views. Three of them were her mother, watching on repeat.

It was the worst video ever made.

It was the best decision she had ever made.


That night, Lucia didn't open Netflix.

She didn't scroll YouTube.

She didn't "research" or "prepare" or "marinate."

She wrote a second sentence. Then a third. Then a paragraph.

It was awful.

She kept going.


Today, Lucia still wears the cardigan. She still makes the matcha. Some days, she still catches herself drifting toward YouTube, toward the promise of "inspiration" that tastes a lot like procrastination.

But now she has a rule.

She says it out loud when she feels the scroll calling:

"I am not a person who prepares. I am a person who does."

And then popcorn forgotten, Netflix ignored, she types.

One word.

Then another.

Then another.

And she doesn't wait to feel ready.

Because she understands now:

Ready is the enemy of done.

And done even badly done is the only thing that ever counted.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The river

Merrick's Ridge

The diver