The Day My Face Stopped Listening
I built a wellness and performance development app. Every day, I pushed social media and notifications reminding users to breathe, to stretch, to pause. "Your well-being matters," the app said. "Take 90 seconds for yourself."
I never took my own advice.
Morning to night, I moved task to task. Investor deck → code review → user feedback → marketing metrics. Three to four hours rest. No breaks. No pauses. Just the relentless grind of more. I told myself I was being disciplined. Founder, PhD candidate, director, husband, father. I told myself I'd rest when I hit the next milestone.
My body told me otherwise.
It started with a twitch under my left eye. Then a dull ache behind my ear. Planning for an upcoming workshop, I ignored both. Just stress, I thought. Push through.
Next morning, I woke up and couldn't close my left eye. I looked in the mirror and saw half my face frozen—no smile, no frown, no expression at all. The left side had simply... stopped.
Bell's Palsy, the doctors said. Severe inflammation of the facial nerve. Caused by, you guessed it, chronic, unremitting stress. The same stress I kept telling app users to manage. The same pauses I recommended but never practiced.
I had built a life raft for everyone else while drowning myself to keep others afloat.
For eight weeks, I couldn't drink without spilling. Couldn't say my son's name without slurring. Couldn't look at myself without seeing the physical manifestation of every skipped pause, every ignored signal, every "just ten more minutes."
The irony was brutal: the founder of a wellness app became a case study in what happens when you refuse to stop.
I have fully recovered now. My face works again. But I kept one thing: a memory from that morning in the mirror. Half smile, half stone. Yup, I had built myself a wall of stones that I could not maintain. No more
The experience allowed me to refine the system that builds and maintains performance. And every time I feel the urge to skip a pause, I remember.
Then I close my laptop.
Comments
Post a Comment