The Call Inside the Laugh

Prince heard it first on a Tuesday, in the middle of a joke he didn't find funny.

He was leaning against Marcus's car, the hood still warm from the drive. Darnell was doing his thing, holding court in the parking lot, making everyone double over with some story about a dude who tried to fight his own reflection outside a corner store. Kevin was dying. Marcus was coughing. And Prince? Prince smiled. He always smiled. But inside his chest, something was pressing against his ribs like a bird trying to get out.

It wasn't the first time.

For weeks now, Prince had been waking up at 5:47 a.m. not to an alarm, but to a pull. A quiet, insistent hum behind his navel that said: Touch something soft. Smell something calm. Learn what shea butter actually does.

He had ignored it. Buried it under bass-boosted rap and late-night gaming sessions and the heavy weight of being "one of the guys." Prince was 24. He worked a warehouse job he didn't hate. He had a barber, not a stylist. He used whatever body wash was on sale. That was the contract. That was the role.

But the call kept coming.

And tonight, in the parking lot, it arrived with a name.

"Yo, Prince," Darnell said, wiping a tear from his eye. "You been quiet. You good?"

"I'm good," Prince lied.

Then Kevin, half-joking, pointed at Prince's hands. "Yo, why your nails look like that? You been moisturizing or something?"

Everyone laughed. Prince looked down at his own hands. They were soft. He had started using cuticle oil three weeks ago, hiding the bottle under his bathroom sink like contraband. He had told no one.

"You see that?" Marcus said, elbowing Darnell. "Prince out here with the gentleman's hands. Next thing you know, he gonna start asking about face masks."

The laughter was a wall. Prince could feel it pressing against his chest, pushing the bird back down.

But the bird didn't want to go.


Two days later, Prince did something he had never done. He drove past the warehouse and kept going. Twenty minutes to a part of town he'd only seen on Instagram—a wellness studio with bamboo floors, soft lighting, and a sign that said "Root + Ritual."

His heart was a jackhammer. His ego was screaming: What are you doing? Your boys will never let you live this down. This is not you.

He almost turned around three times.

The door opened anyway.

Inside, a woman named Ms. Celine looked at him, really looked at him, and didn't smile too fast or too slow. She just nodded.

"First time?"

Prince swallowed. "That obvious?"

"You're standing like you're waiting for someone to laugh at you," she said. "Sit down. Let me show you something."

She handed him a bottle of jojoba oil mixed with lavender. He held it like a grenade.

"Smell it," she said.

He did. And for the first time in years, something in his shoulders dropped. The bird in his chest stopped thrashing. It perched. It rested.

"This is just oil," Ms. Celine said quietly. "It's not a statement. It's not a weakness. It's just... care. You ever had anyone teach you how to care for yourself?"

Prince thought about his father, who called lotion "soft." Thought about middle school, where boys who noticed things got noticed for the wrong reasons. Thought about every parking lot laugh he had ever participated in, the jokes he made about other men just to prove he wasn't one of them.

"No," he said. "I haven't."


The crisis didn't end in that studio. It got worse before it got better.

Prince started coming home with small things: a jade roller, a scalp serum, a candle that smelled like sandalwood and honey. He hid them in his closet. Then under his bed. Then he stopped hiding them. That was the first rupture.

Marcus came over unexpectedly. Saw the candle. Picked it up. Held it like evidence.

"Yo, what is this?"

Prince's ego kicked in. "It's a candle, man. Relax."

"Since when do you burn candles?"

"Since I felt like it."

Marcus laughed, but it was confused. He put the candle down like it might bite him. Then he called Darnell. "Bro, Prince got aromatherapy in here."

Prince didn't laugh. That was the second rupture.

"What?" Marcus said, noticing the silence. "I'm playing."

"You're not though," Prince said, and his voice was different. Lower. Calmer. "You're not playing, Marcus. You're policing. And I'm tired of it."

The room went still. Prince could feel the ego, his own and Marcus's, fighting for air.

"I'm doing something for myself," Prince said. "I don't know what to call it yet. But the way y'all keep laughing? That's not brotherhood. That's a cage. And I'm not staying in it."

Marcus left twenty minutes later. They didn't talk for a week.


The third rupture was the hardest. Prince told Darnell he was signing up for an esthetician course. Part-time. Evenings.

Darnell didn't laugh. That was worse. He looked at Prince like Prince had just admitted a secret illness.

"Man... you sure about that?"

"I've never been more sure about anything."

"But that's... you know."

"No," Prince said. "I don't know. Say it."

Darnell wouldn't say it. But they both heard it: That's not for us. That's not what men do. That's not what Black men do.

Prince nodded slowly. "I hear you," he said. "Now hear me. For the first time in my life, I wake up and I'm not tired. I touch something soft and I don't feel shame. I smell something good and I feel here. You don't have to get it. But you don't get to laugh at it anymore."

Darnell was quiet for a long time.

Then he said: "You gonna do my eyebrows?"

Prince laughed, a real laugh, from somewhere deeper than the parking lot. "Not with that attitude."


Months later, Prince opened a small studio. Not fancy. Just a room with a chair, good lighting, and a sign that said "Prince's Crown."

Some of his old friends came. Some didn't. Marcus showed up six weeks in, stood in the doorway, and said: "I don't really get it. But you look... different. Lighter."

Prince was mixing a clay mask in a ceramic bowl. He looked up and smiled—not the old smile, the one that said I'm fine. A new one. A real one.

"I'm not lighter," he said. "I just stopped carrying y'all's opinions around."

Marcus didn't have a joke for that. He just nodded. Then he sat down in the chair.

"Okay," he said. "Do what you do."

Prince picked up his tools. The bird in his chest was gone. Not because it had flown away, but because it had finally landed somewhere safe.

His own hands. His own call. His own crown.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The river

Merrick's Ridge

The diver